Cleaning and properly maintaining your inflatable SUP board is key to its longevity and performance. Fortunately, basic SUP care is not time consuming and is easy enough that you can even do it yourself.
After enjoying time out on your SUP be sure to clean off and pat dry your board before transport or storage. If you use your SUP board in salt water, washing it off with fresh water after each use is recommended. It is also important to be sure to keep your board free of moisture. Using a clean soft cloth to make sure that your board is thoroughly dry prior to rolling it up and storing it will help to prevent mildew.
Taking the time and effort by following a few simple steps in cleaning, restoring and surface prepping your board will help to prevent premature wear, keep your board in top condition for peak performance as well as keeping it bright, shiny and looking like new!
Cleaning the Top and Side Walls of your iSUP
Clean the top and side walls of your iSUP using Onit Pro Blue Goo, a Cleaner, Restorer, Surface Prep for Onit Xtreme Cream product that uses a light abrasive stain buster to remove oxidation, dirt and grime. ONIT Pro Blue Goo is an environmentally friendly power cleaner. Blue Goo also seals and protects the surface from UV Rays and Water-Migration.
Instructions for Use (Onit Pro Blue Goo)
- Shake bottle well
- Apply liberally to the surface with damp sponge or cloth
- Scrub surface until all oxidation, scuff marks, ground in dirt and wax is removed.
- Repeat as required until the surface is clean and shiny
- Rinse with fresh water or wipe off surface with a soft cloth. Make sure that all the Blue Goo is removed from the surface.
- Make sure the entire surface is completely dry before applying ONIT Xtreme Cream
Cleaning the Bottom of your iSUP
AirheadSUP R & D recommends Onit Pro Xtreme Cream, a High Performance Friction Reducing Polymer and Sealer to clean the bottom of your iSUP. Materials used in the manufacture of inflatable SUP’s tend to be sticky to the water in nature, the XC protector/sealer removes friction and reduces drag. It should only be used on the bottom of the board which increases speed and improves performance. Tests have proven that using Onit Pro Xtreme Cream reduces friction by over 15% at 18 MPH allowing for better response and performance while reducing paddle fatigue as well. Be sure to apply any stickers and decals to your board prior to applying Xtreme Cream as they will not stick to the treated surface. XC can also be applied to fins, rails and outriggers to help protect against sun damage, making cleanup up easier.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not apply Onit Pro Xtreme Cream to the (top) deck pad of boards as that will make them slippery!
Instructions for Use (Onit Pro Xtreme Cream)
- Shake Bottle well
- Apply XC to damp sponge or soft cloth.
- Rub in well using a circular motion.
- Let dry to a haze. (Air temperature and humidity will determine drying time.)
- Wipe off as soon as haze forms. (If allowed to dry for an extended time period, haze removal will take more effort. XC begins bonding to the surface as soon as it’s applied.)
- Wipe away Haze with a Soft Cloth. A Lambs Wool buffer can also be used to enhance shine and performance.
Cleaning the (top) EVA Deck Pad of your iSUP
Airhead SUP recommends Onit Pro DPC Deck Pad Cleaner (DPC) which not only cleans and refreshes EVA deck pads but wetsuits as well. It removes sweat, body oils, grime, suntan oil and lotion and more. DPC is safe to use in and around the water and is “Free Rinsing” and will not leave any residue and is water-based and water-activated and works with either freshwater or saltwater, though freshwater works best. It penetrates through grime and separates it from the substrate so that it can be rinsed away for a fresh and clean surface.
Instructions for Use (Onit Pro DPC Deck Pad Cleaner)
- Shake bottle well
- Wet Surface to be cleaned
- Spray DPC on the EVA pad and agitate it with a soft bristled brush for a minute or so to let it work
- Rinse off with water while agitating with the brush to help get into all the nooks and crannies
Transporting and Storing your Inflatable SUP
One of the greatest advantages of owning an inflatable SUP is just how incredibly easy it is to transport and store your board. After following these simple care and maintenance steps all you have left to do is to roll up your board and stow it away in its uniquely designed mesh backpack, taking up so little space in your gear closet or garage and always packed and ready for your next big adventure!