Proudly We Stand 100-Mile Paddleboard Mission Rasies Awareness for Armed Forces Charities
In August 2015, Proudly We Stand will embark on a 100-mile paddleboard mission from Chicago to Milwaukee to raise awareness and funds for Companions for Heroes and Nation of Patriots. Both outstanding charitable organizations provide critical support to our troops and their families once they return home and readjust after courageously serving our country.
Proudly We Stand is graciously accepting donations for the event on behalf of both charities, Companions for Heroes and Nation of Patriots. Nation of Patriots works with hundreds of people across the country to seek out and provide financial support to families of wounded veterans. Companions for Heroes helps heal the lives of our nation's heroes by bringing together veterans with shelter pets who provide much deserved love and devotion. Please join us in support of Proudly We Stand and their outstanding efforts. Visit ProudlyWeStand.org to make a donation using the Paypal link on the website or clicking on the PayPal icon below.
Proudly We Stand is a group of three stand up paddleboard enthusiasts, Shane Perrin, Debbie Klapperich and Nate Waldera, who are dedicated to supporting our veterans.
Nate is a former soldier in the U.S. Army who has experienced and seen firsthand the struggles soldiers go through upon their return home. Nate was introduced to his dog, best friend and paddling companion through Companions for Heroes. Stand up paddle boarding provides great strength and drive in his life giving him something to look forward to each day. Nate is on the water paddling every chance he gets and competed in various races across the country last year including:
- Watermans Paddle for Humanity, Minneapolis, Minnnesota (Nate's first race ever)
- Stand Up Paddle People on Lake Michigan, Zion, Illinois
- Midwest SUP Masters, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
- Chucktown Showdown ocean race, Charleston, South Carolina
Shane is an ultra-distance stand up paddler who found his passion for SUP after battling kidney failure, recovering from dialysis and eventually receiving a kidney transplant. He is the current world record holder for the greatest SUP distance on flat water in 24 hours at 101 miles. Shane is also the first person to ever SUP the MR340 race (340 miles on the Missouri river.) Along with this great feat, Shane is also known for the following record-breaking accomplishments.
- First to SUP and solo paddle La Ruta Maya Belize race (179 miles on Belize river)
- First to SUP Texas Water Safari race (260 miles on three Texas rivers ending in an ocean crossing)
- First to SUP Florida Everglades Challenge (300 ocean miles in six days, Tampa-Key Largo, then continuing 100 miles to Key West)
- First to SUP a circumnavigation around St. Thomas and St. John U.S. Virgin Islands (71 miles in 34 hours)
Shane is excited to be part of Proudly We Stand after learning how SUP changed Nate's life and how their mutual friend Debbie Klapperich also helped Nate along the way.
Debbie is a wife, mom, massage therapist and paddleboard enthusiast. She met Nate through Lost Dogs of Wisconsin when his previous dog (one specially trained to help Nate with issues he experienced after his military service) went missing. Debbie took Nate on his first paddleboard adventure and was thrilled to see how much happiness the sport provided him.
Besides getting Nate hooked on SUP, other great accomplishments Debbie also boasts including the following from 2014:
- Close to 600 miles paddled during the 2014 season
- Raced at Paddle for Humanity in Minnesota
- Raced in Zion, Illinois, taking 1st place in the short race women's division
- Raced in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
- Raced in Charleston, South Carolina
- 20-mile challenge across Lake Superior that started in Duluth, Minnesota, and ended in Wisconsin, taking 3rd place in the women's division
- Chattajack, a 31-mile (32.68 logged gps miles) river race in Chattanooga, Tennessee
You are invited to join Airhead SUP in proudly standing beside Nate, Shane and Debbie with a donation toward their 100-mile paddle mission to raise awareness and funds for Companions for Heroes and Nation of Patriots. Visit ProudlyWeStand.org for more details.